Total Pageviews

Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Truffleupagus

I know it is not difficult to imagine that most everything to do with truffles is absolutely wonderful. That rich woodsy, earthy taste that I have enjoyed with so many things. A favorite is simple linguine with shaved truffle and butter sauce; simple, so rich, so decadent, yet so homey and rustic at the same time. I don't have any fresh truffles to shave here at the flat. I was preparing simple Tuesday night pasta and salad, penne with pesto and rocket with diced beets and toasted hazelnuts. I was just about to squeeze some lemon juice for the salad and add a little salt when I focused in on the small bottle of truffle oil on the counter. It has barely been used. Will truffle work with lemon? Taste oil, taste lemon juice, taste oil, taste juice. This may be an easily answerable question to chefs and gourmets alike but, I have yet to have tasted that combo on a salad. I thought, the earthy beets and rich hazelnuts would be very happy under the marinade and the peppery rocket would be strong enough to hold up in that depth of flavor. I used less than a teaspoon of truffle oil, the juice of a half lemon and added about a half teaspoon of that wonderful whole seed mustard and a dash of sea salt, add a bit of neutral oil and done. I whipped it up and took the plunge or made the salad take the plunge. Yum, better than yum, silence, salad crunching silence.

No comments:

Post a Comment